Paula

Paula
See You At The Center

Friday, March 20, 2009

Week 12 Preview - Making Restaurant Food "Fit"

Eating outside of the home has become part of our lives more and more.

The typical adult now averages 5.8 restaurant occasions in a week!

The tendency to use every eating out occasion as a reason to "go off plan" seriously challenges long term weight management. Eating out doesn't have to mean a splurge every time or a loss of control, and can fit into a healthy lifestyle.

Learning to eat out on plan is a key skill for staying on track long term. You might think you don't eat out that often.

What are the reasons you eat away from home?

Some examples of "everyday occasions":

Lunch at work

Fast food restaurants

Business travel (including airports and convenience stores)

Too busy or too tired to cook so you go out or order in

At our meeting this week we will talk about the difference between "Everyday Occasions" and "Special Day Dining"

Yesterday, I found this wonderfully educational article about restaurant portions on MSN.

Check it out. Here's the link

http://health.msn.com/nutrition/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100234866

4 comments:

Janet said...

Wow. That article WAS a real eye opener. They orange juice was unexpected for me. I knew fruit juice was high in fructose but 112 calories per 8 ounces.....I've been cutting mine with water since joining WW.

-Janet M.

Paula said...

I enjoyed that article too. Anytime I see some information that is pertinent to our program, I will try to include it. I think the more information we have the better.

Thanks for your comment

Paula

Dawn said...

Hi
I have to many lunch meetings and I've found that planning really makes a big difference for me. I can always find something that tastes good and is good for me. It is so much easier when you are prepared.
I have a question I was reviewing my filling foods list and would like to know if our WW snack bars (like the Sweet and Salty) are just snacks or are they part of filling foods? Thanks Dawn

Paula said...

Dawn,

Technically our WW bars are not filling food choices, because they are a combination ingredients, like: nuts, dried fruits and oats. Some pieces of them are,but some are not.

Major Kudos to you on pre-planning your lunch meetings!!!

Paula